We are celebrating this week! We have paid off American Express! This evil credit card has held us hostage for years with the promise of buying power, flexibility and “airline miles”. In return they took high interest and caused more than one anxious moment and conflicted conversation. BEWARE! Credit cards are not your friend!
Interestingly, the Bible has a lot to say about money:
*1 Timothy 6:10—the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil—- “what would you do for money?
- Nehemiah 5:4—we have had to borrow money to pay the king’s taxes—” yeah. Me too.”
- Proverbs 13:11—dishonest money dwindles away—“honest money moves pretty fast too”
- Ecclesiastes 5:10—whosoever loves money never has enough—“never. Just one more dollar said Rockefeller….”
- Matthew 6:24—you cannot serve both God and money—“you gotta serve somebody….”
Here’s the point. We are blessed. God has provided food, clothing and shelter. We have relationships and a support system in the church. We have hope of salvation because God provided and Jesus delivered. We need to manage our money in a way to glorify the Father! Ideas? Here are a few:
*Go on a mission trip. Teach at camp or build a house. Medical missions are good too!
*Tithes and offerings. Your congregation does great things.
*Buy a homeless person lunch. Sit with them and talk.
* Buy groceries for a senior or a college student
*Save for a rainy day!
*Pay off debt!
I am inclined to follow up with more money management. I will ask a friend to be guest commentator. Peace!