How do you make heads or tails of the confusion and conflicting opinions about how GOD views divorce?
What does the BIBLE say?
What is marriage?
- God’s idea
- covenant (contract) relationship
- permanent relationship
- a symbol
Unbiblical Grounds for divorce
incompatability- honestly, isn’t every couple incompatable? After all, John Gray said “Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus
- “we don’t love each other anymore” – moods and feelings could vary day to day….
- “it is better for the kids” STATISTICS say…”that is not true”
- “Somebody told me that since I was married before that this isn’t a legitimate marriage and I can leave” Two wrongs don’t make a right!
Biblical Grounds for Divorce
- Immorality – specifically sexual intimacy with another with another
- Abandonment by the non- Christian spouse – not difference of opinion
How do I know what to do?
- Bible Study- you must study in context
- The Holy Spirit….counselor
- Get wise counsel- involve your church leaders and Christian counselors
- SEEK reconciliation FIRST. Honestly, there is a lot of history with your spouse. Can you forgive them or accept forgiveness from them? Are you looking to “find better”?
“The decrees of the LORD are firm and all of them are righteous. They are more precious than gold….in keeping them there is much reward”
IF you worry that your situation is unmanageable, know that GOD can handle it. Put serving HIM first and all these other things will be taken care of…..
Game Plan: Stay married if possible! If your spouse has sinned (sexually or other sins that cannot be lived with) and will not change, you will probably get divorced. If you are the “cause’ of the divorce by sin remember that GOD can forgive you. If you are content to serve GOD and live single (celebate, alone) that is good. If desire overwhelms you and sin is a problem, you may marry to remove this temptation. But be faithful. DON’T make the same mistakes again.