WEEK 2- Divorce Recovery
You may ask “HOW LONG WILL I LIVE WITH THIS PAIN?”
- Will I Ever be Happy Again?
- I Can’t Stand This!
- Where do I Go From Here?
- I feel literally TORN from my spouse, my dreams, my life….
Grieving Your Marriage
- Don’t avoid it
- Don’t rush yourself
- Take a personal inventory
- Take care of your body
Roadblocks to Recovery
- Stuck in your past ( you don’t live there anymore)
- Being unsafe (you don’t have to test the waters)
- Making divorce your identity (divorce isn’t your name)
- Numbing pain (drugs, alcohol, sex, work…don’t solve it)
- Unnecessary sufferings (pick and choose what works for you)
God’s message to you: “the LORD has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the broken hearted…to comfort all who mourn, and provide for those who grieve in Zion….Isaiah 61:1-3
WEEK 3- Divorce Recovery
In Divorce, there is a lot to be angry about!
- Betrayal by the one who is closest to you
- Hurt by lies
- Loss of dreams, plans and possessions
- Loss of Reputation
ANGER IS LIKE KUDZU…IT GROWS FAST AND CHOKES OUT EVERYTHING ELSE!
- Sometimes you should be angry (but do not sin)
- When is it appropriate? What is the cause and how can I respond?
- It is evaluated by GOD
- Violence (you can’t kill em, even if you want to)
- Suppressing it (suck it in until you pop)
- Passive-Aggressive Behavior- (let’s act nice but be mean underneath)
- Getting Revenge (isn’t that a TV show???)
Healthy Expressions of Anger
- Release inappropriate control (your spouse didn’t listen to you when you were married and they won’t listen now)
- Avoid high conflict situations
- Exercise (burn that energy)
- Remember that GOD is our model…remember how kind God has been to you.
GOD’s message to you: “In your anger do not sin. Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, and do not give the Devil a foothold.” Ephesians 4: 26-27