Psalms 4:3 “if you call out, I will hear you”
People are lonely! Widows and widowers are lonely. Divorcees are lonely. Singles are lonely. Teens are lonely. In the era of FACEBOOK wher we know what our friends had for breakfast….people are lonely. In the area of text and twitter….people are lonely.
Survey says that:
- playing cards is down 25%
- time with neighbors is down 33%
- family dinners is down 33%
- having friends over is down 45%
- readiness to make friends is down 33%
- a person averages 2 close friends, down from 3 (somebody was voted off the island?)
Here’s my deductions after seeing these statistics:
We perpetuate our loneliness! Rather text than talk? Don’t know your neighbors’ names? Too busy to go to church potluck? Too busy to make a play date with your kids friends (and their parent)? Do you text your mate while watching TV in different rooms? Loneliness is not creeping in, it has arrived!
There are solutions!
- join a bowling league. We joined one with my work a few years ago and met incredible people. Laughed alot!
- Volunteer! Get involved in a project that includes lots of people. Beach cleanup. Homeless ministry. Nursing home visitation.
- Join your local sports club. The GatorNation or NolesNation needs you. Auburn, Alabama, Tennessee……you name the team, they have a booster club.
- Make your best recipe and share it at the pot luck. People will ask about it!
- LAUNCH events are planned for the Christian single as affordable opportunities for fellowship. Spend some time with the family of GOD.
Jesus surrounded himself with others. He enjoyed people. He expressed joy when sharing. And he set aside prayer time to spend with the father. Was he ever lonely? Read Matt. 26:36-46. He certainly was grieved to know he would be apart from the father. But, he did GOD’s will.
Check out upcoming events and RSVP for dinner November 18!